Problems with haxeui-hxwidgets

Hey,

in haxeui-hxwidgets “maxChars”, “placeholder” and “restrictChars” on textfields and “allowInteraction” on ranges are not working. “onChange” in a xml-file creates critical errors in the program.
How do i use switches in haxeui-hxwidgets properly they are looking like buttons?
What is the right way to use accordions and tableviews in haxeui-hxwidgets?

Cheers,
Domi

So, for native components to work, there has to be a native counterpart inside the native backend (wxwidgets in this case). So for example, there is no such thing as a native “switch” in wxWidgets, therefore the best thing i could thing of that is similar to a switch (natively) was a toggle button.

As for accordions there is also no native counterpart (unless im mistaken) so it will likely work and look pretty strange (though maybe we can improve it a little - ill have to check).

TableView is different, there is certainly a native counterpart but it will take a little bit of time to link up all the behaviors, etc - its something ive been putting off :slight_smile:

As for the properties on text-fields, some of them dont map, and other might - ill have to check them individually to see.

Finally, can you post an example of the crash with onChange? Ive never seen that.

Cheers,
Ian

Hm the onChange seems to work now.

What is the proper way for styling in haxeui-hxwidgets?
For example on buttons “:hover” seems not to work and border-radius too.
I used for this the same css-file as for html5 backend. In html5 all is working fine but for the haxeui-hxwidgets backend not.

I can not set the value for ranges in haxeui-hxwidgets properly.

Cheers,
Domi

haxeui-theme-kenney seems not to work with haxeui-hxwidgets too.

Cheers,
Domi

The result of :

<dropdown id="dropdown" text="Datum" type="date" />

is a citical error -> Uncatchable Throw: Null Object Reference

after starting the program.

Backend for this is haxeui-hxwidgets.

Cheers,
Domi

You arent going to be able to style a native UI with the same amount of customisation as you would a composite (drawn) UI - its just not feasible, in fact, wxWidgets on OSX is extremely limited with regards to customization as the UI it creates is 100% native - and OSX is VERY limited it what it allows UI to “do”.

This isnt really a limitation of haxeui-hxwidgets, or wxWidgets really, its that the UI is native and therefore is limited by native apis - qt will allow alot of more customization as its not actually a native UI, it just looks like it is but its actually custom drawn (but using OS hooks and done very well). There is a hxQt and a haxeui-qt, but they are highly experimental at this stage.

If you want a 100% consistent UI across OS’s then you’ll have to use a composite backend (like html5, or openfl, or kha) - but obviously this wont be native anymore and things may feel “out of place” (for example scrollbars)

It might make more sense if you try to explain what you are trying to do… for example, if you are interested in a native UI, why are you looking to change the background colour on hover? (which will absolutely NOT work in haxeui-hxwidgets when targeting OSX anyway)

slice-9 isnt implemented on haxeui-hxwidgets - which is what the kenney theme runs off of essentially - this is because i got some really bad “flashing” with the components - i might have another go at it, as i have some ideas. But again, if you are trying to theme a native application with something as drastic as the kenney theme then why not use a composite backend? It seems using a native UI and then trying to “paint” it as a totally NON native ui seems strange.

Ian

PS: ill checkout the date thing.

I want to design the components like the material design looks like.
I have a working project for the haxeui-html5 backend which you reposted on Twitter from Adrian Veith back in April.
Now i want this project to work with the haxeui-hxwidgets backend.

Cheers,
Domi

1 Like

Right, simply put you arent going to be able to get that level of customization in a native backend. The operating system itself isnt going to allow it.

Composite sure, but native, nope. In fact, themes arent even really used in native backends - maybe once haxeui-qt is out and working it could work but even then it would argue that using a theme with a native (or “fake native” like qt) defeats the purpose of the native backend itself.

I mean, a simple example is with a native slider there NO way to style the slider button that is in the component… the component is an operating system component and no outward api exposes that info (nor should it probably).

That said, your theme did look really nice, and its certainly useful for composite backends - so all is not lost! :slight_smile:

Is there somewhere only i can look / play with it? (just out of curiosity)

Cheers,
Ian

1 Like

Ok i will try it with openfl.

Cheers,
Domi

1 Like