Sizing of sub children

I must say I’m a little lost with sizing…

component 1

<vbox width="1024" height="680"/>

component 2

<vbox width="100%" height="100%">
<label width="100%" text="Loremipsum" />

If add component2 in component1, I only see the first letter “L”, I assume it resized my label to minimum size (50x50?).
I was expecting to see it full width and the label to resize (and line break) if too long when I resize the window…
What does I miss ?

Yeah, thats not right, for sure, your assumption is correct and certainly used to work, ill see if a regression.

EDIT: actually, think i might know whats going on here. Are you using custom components? If so your custom component class is essentially a wrapper around whatever is in the xml, so if you have:

<vbox width="100%">
    <button width="100%" />
</vbox>

And you have custom component that uses it, eg:

@:build(haxe.ui.macros.ComponentMacros.build(...))
class MyComponent extends Box {
}

Then, in reality, you have another “box” around your “vbox”, and that is autosized (which doesnt play with % widths). If this is your case, then there are a few options:

1. size the instance of MyComponent: myComponentIntance.percentWidth = 100
  2. size the instance in the constructor: this.percentWidth = 100
  3. size using css: .myComponent { width: 100%; }

Oh, so I made the mistake to compare the @build macro with layout of Android.
If I don’t use @build, would it be the same ?

I’m really not fan of so much embedded components, it cost me a lot of debug time and performance on Android (and Flex for anyone remember it).

The other approach would be to use @build on the mainView and a XML with all the app like

<vbox width="100%" height="100%">
       <subview width="100%" height="75%">
           <MyComponent width="100%" height="100%" />
      <footer width="100%" height="25%"/>
</vbox>

It seems it’s about creating custom-component but I missing the point to make them the right way (+ resource issue poster earlier)

Can you paste your source? It would be easier to understand.

the @build macro takes an xml file and builds the contents of a custom component for you.

by mainview xml, I was thinking of something similar to your project :

I’d like to remove the need for

@:build(haxe.ui.macros.ComponentMacros.build(…))
class MyComponent extends Box {
}

which add a Box for ‘nothing’

Thats fair, but there isnt really a way around it. You need that “wrapper” component to be your actual class. I would probably add that using the build macro and a custom component you get alot of features, and its certainly the way i advise writing an application of any complexity. See: https://github.com/haxeui/haxeui-guides/blob/master/custom-components.md

Heres a (very) quick overview though (keep in mind that im just mixing and matching things to show the features):

Say you had this xml file:

<hbox>
    <vbox>
        <slider id="slider1" precision="2" />
        <label id="label1" />
    </vbox>    
    <button id="button1" text="Reset" />
</hbox>

Then you could have something like this in a class:

@:build(haxe.ui.macros.ComponentMacros.build("assets/myview.xml"))
class MyView extends Box {
    public function new() {
        super();
    }

@:bind(label1.text) var label1Text:String; // can bind vars to component props
    @:bind(slider1.pos) var slider1Pos:Float = 50; // can set initial values for bound props

@:bind(button1, MouseEvent.CLICK) // can bind component events to functions
    function onReset(e) {
        label1Text = "Reset!";
        slider1.pos = 0; // all components with an id become correctly typed member vars of the class
    }

@:bind(slider1, UIEvent.CHANGE)
    function onSlider(e) {
        label1Text = "pos is: " + slider1Pos;
    }
}

customcomponents

This is obviously a small example, but this type of custom component / view becomes invaluable for a project of any size. Of course, its up to you if you want to use it or not :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Ian

PS: ive also added a small update to haxeui-core that now copies certainly properties from the root component of the xml to the wrapper component, meaning you dont now need to manually do the “percentWidth” stuff. If you have “100%” in your xml, then the wrapper will have percentWidth=100 automatically set.

If it’s the way to do and gives you a lot of features, I won’t argue :wink:

I updated my hello world and I still don’t understand everything
https://filebin.net/kdu96jpgr6j5ykhl

test Case 1 :
not a single percentW/H on any layout nor component
Expected:
a window narrowed to the content of the view
Result:
a window as the smallest possible with almost nothing visible

Test Case 2
percentW/H at 100% on my main container
Expected:
a window almost full screen
Result:
a window at a default size (?) + my subview the smallest possible with almost nothing visible

Test Case 3:
percentH/W to 100% every where
Expected:
a window almost full screen
Result:
a window at a default size (?) + my subview visible

Test Case 4:
fixed h/w on my main view + percentH/W to 100% everywhere sle
Expected:
a window of HxW and all my subview visibles
Result:
a window of HxW and all my subview visibles

so
1/ what is the default size of the main window ?
2/ percentH/W is the percent of the parent or the child ?
3/ how do I make a container with a size based on its content ?

(sorry to bother you!!)

Which .zip am i supposed to be looking at?

200506?

yes, 200506.
Sorry, I’ll give you the filename next time

1 Like

So i think something is defo up there. Im going to create a minimal example to try and understand it, but i wouldnt expect it to be such a small size (it should have been the size of the button + 5px padding)

Ian

OK, it was a bug ive introduced! Ill fix it now (once i fully understand it), but removing the “bad” code i get:

When i remove the explicit sizing of the button (which isnt recommended, esp. for native platforms), i get:

Note, there is still some “dark grey” parts, this is because wxWidgets (well, windows really) has a minimum window size it will create - yours may look different.

Anyways, let me fix this bug i added a few days ago :confused:

OK, thats fixed now. I havent tried out all your scenarios, but the first at least is fixed - was a good old static vs dynamic platform issue.

Cheers,
Ian

EDIT: fixed in git version of haxeui-core

Ok, i think all of your scenarios work now, assuming im understanding them. Ive also added a new haxeui-hxwidgets property: haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.maximized, which as you would expect, maximizes the top level window on start up (not sure if thats a thing on osx though!)

Here is a break down of the properties btw:

• haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.fit=boolean will reszie the top level frame to the contents of the UI (this should be fixed now, see above).

• haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.title=string just the title of the frame, you dont have to set it here, but its an easy way.

• haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.width=number the default width of the main frame (800 if not set), note, this property is ignored if haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.fit=true

• haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.height=number the default height of the main frame (600 if not set), note, this property is ignored if haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.fit=true

• haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.left=number the position of frame (x axis) defaults to center screen

• haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.top=number the position of frame (y axis) defaults to center screen

• haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.maximized=boolean whether to start the frame is a maximized state

Note: to get haxe.ui.hxwidgets.frame.maximized property working you need git versions of hxWidgets and haxeui-hxwidgets.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers,
Ian

1 Like

Just wanted to drop this link in here. These component examples have been great to do some learning from.

1 Like